four-week 'bedding-in' period for new whip rules that begin in new year

Jockey and whip

Winners of races could be disqualified if their rider contravenes whip rules under the new regulations, although it has been agreed that to address concerns regarding the impact of potential disqualification of runners on raceday for betting purposes, any potential decisions regarding disqualification will now be made by the whip review committee away from raceday, and will therefore not affect the outcome of a race for betting purposes. The British Horseracing Authority said it is anticipated the review committee will meet once a week to consider sanctions from all races, most likely on a Tuesday. The four-week period from January 9 that will bring in the changes means National Hunt jockeys will be able to ride without being subject to the new sanctions, before the full implementation of the new rules in jump racing begins on February 6 – just over a month before the start of the Cheltenham Festival. Flat counterparts begin with a bedding-in period on February 27, with full implementation from March 27. Under the revised rules, a jump jockey who uses their whip 12 or more times – with 11 strikes or more for Flat jockeys – in any race could be disqualified. In major races, as well as being disqualified, the jockey could also receive a 28-day ban. The framework defining a major race includes all class one and two races in both codes, as well as any race with prize-money over £27,500 on the Flat and £20,000 over jumps. Some leeway may be allowed if it is deemed riders were using their whip in the interests of safety or if it has been used down the shoulder with both hands on the reins. It has also now been decided that, should they wish, Flat jockeys may use the jump version of the whip – which has a longer padded section – in response to concerns raised by some jockeys regarding the use of the whip in the backhand-only and the risk of landing it in the incorrect place. A review of the rules was recommended by the independently-chaired Horse Welfare Board as part of its five-year welfare strategy published in February 2020, although the Covid-19 pandemic delayed its initial progress. Views across the industry were taken into account, along with the results of a public consultation held last year, by the Whip Consultation Steering Group – the body which was formed to assess the responses to the consultation and propose any recommendations that may go before the British Horseracing Authority board. A total of 20 recommendations were put forward by the Steering Group and all were approved by the BHA board. Brant Dunshea, chief regulatory officer for the BHA, said: “We are extremely grateful for the engagement and feedback we have received through the period of technical discussions. The discussions were full and frank, hence the time they have taken to conclude. “The discussions quickly established that there was overall support for the vast majority of the recommendations. However, as expected, there were some areas of concern raised. We have listened to the feedback we received and made adjustments to the initial proposals accordingly. “We recognise that some of the new rules are going to take some time to get used to for some jockeys, which is why we have factored in time for communication and education, as well as a bedding-in period before the rules and penalties are implemented in full.”

Keyword: Four-week 'bedding-in' period for new whip rules that begin in new year

CAR'S NEWS RELATED

The ‘nightmare’ collapse of a Formula E title bid

In Danny Boyle’s mesmerising 2002 film 28 Days Later, a stunned Jim played by Cillian Murphy wanders the streets of London alone and confused, believing he must be in a nightmare. To describe Edoardo Mortara’s demeanour last weekend as approaching something akin to a zombie apocalypse state would be ...

View more: The ‘nightmare’ collapse of a Formula E title bid

Rosenqvist deal revelation creates new Mc Laren driver twist

IndyCar teams have been put on high alert by the news that Felix Rosenqvist reportedly hasn’t signed a contract for 2023 with McLaren Racing, despite the team announcing he had in June. On Thursday a key player in the silly season, Rinus VeeKay, took himself out of the market ...

View more: Rosenqvist deal revelation creates new Mc Laren driver twist

Injured Bird’s Formula E streak over as Jaguar calls up Nato

Norman Nato will make his return to Formula E in Seoul next weekend for Jaguar. He will deputise for Sam Bird, who injured his hand in an early race incident at last Sunday’s London E-Prix. Nato, who has attended every round this season in his capacity as test and ...

View more: Injured Bird’s Formula E streak over as Jaguar calls up Nato

Formula E excelled in London but F1 clash was an own goal

Formula E delivered perhaps its best ever E-Prix event at London’s monolithic ExCeL Arena last weekend. And, after another season of calendar disruption, frankly it had to. The reason it had to deliver was that the disruption, image issues and embarrassment of postponing and then cancelling the much heralded ...

View more: Formula E excelled in London but F1 clash was an own goal

Details of two large Formula E Gen3 test crashes emerge

Formula E’s new Gen3 car has already had two real-time crash tests, with a pair of unrelated and sizeable, previously unreported, crashes having occurred during private testing in recent months. The Race has uncovered that Oliver Rowland and Theo Pourchaire suffered significant accidents in testing at Mallory Park in ...

View more: Details of two large Formula E Gen3 test crashes emerge

Nissan picks rookie for first 2023 Formula E seat

Nissan is set to give Sacha Fenestraz his Formula E debut next season after recently agreeing a deal for the 23-year-old Franco-Argentine to join its team for the start of the Gen3 era in 2023. He currently races in Super Formula, sitting third in the championship in his fourth ...

View more: Nissan picks rookie for first 2023 Formula E seat

How Giovinazzi’s first good Formula E race fell apart

Antonio Giovinazzi lamented the loss of his “big chance” to claim his first ever Formula E points after a breakthrough London race went dramatically awry. Prior to Sunday, Formula 1 convert Giovinazzi had qualified on the back two rows for the majority of his Formula E starts so far, ...

View more: How Giovinazzi’s first good Formula E race fell apart

Buemi, Wehrlein involved in London Formula E post-race dust-up

Sebastien Buemi and Pascal Wehrlein had to be separated following an angry discussion at the end of Sunday’s London E-Prix after their battle for seventh place. Witnesses saw the pair push each other and then square up to each other in the altercation, which lasted just a matter of ...

View more: Buemi, Wehrlein involved in London Formula E post-race dust-up

Winners and losers of Formula E’s London double-header

The failure that’s probably ended Jaguar’s Formula E title bid

De Vries defends ignoring ‘silly’ Mercedes team order

‘Completely unfair’ – Di Grassi’s fury with Formula E stewards

Is the Formula E title now in Vandoorne’s pocket?

‘I look like a clown’ – A new low for Formula E’s wasted hero

The full extent of Mahindra and Abt’s new Formula E tie-up

Formula E’s lost 2022 title contender

The Spa-style fix for hated part of London Formula E track

Mc Laren needs a Formula E Plan B – but its options are scant

Formula E slashes London energy limit to avoid messy race

Where Formula E will ‘make things more simple’ in Gen3 era

OTHER CAR NEWS

;
Breaking thailand news, thai news, thailand news Verified News Story Network