My XUV700 is scheduled to be delivered in Nov/Dec 2023. The thought of cancelling the booking & buying a Tata Safari or Toyota Innova instead has also crossed my mind.
BHPian sedanlover2021 recently shared this with other enthusiasts.
I believe I am in a funny situation hence seeking advice from the Pundits here at Team-BHP.
- 2021 July – Honda City VX Automatic (Petrol) done about 7500 km
- Dec 2017 – Ford EcoSport -Titanium Petrol done about 45000 km
- Work from home is almost gone. I am visiting the office at least 2-3 days a week. (45-50 Kms return journey)
- The missus is joining a new job and they are working from the office. She will be commuting at least 2-3 times a week. (60 Kms return journey)
For the next 10-11 months not expecting too many long drives as we are on the family way. Long road trips are a no-no till the child is 3-5 months old at least.
What’s up with the Honda
I stay in a far-flung part of Bluru, the roads are non-existent for 10-11 Kms of the journey each side with potholes that make moon craters want to drink a red bull. The speed breakers are car breakers and the Honda does touch at least once on every ride. But we love the car otherwise and are not in a mood to part ways for the next 10-11 years. However, for the next few months, the missus wants to avoid travelling in this due to pregnancy and how the car deals with the roads at extremely low speeds.
What’s up with the Ford
I have the following issues with the Ford:
- The car is still registered in Haryana and I am in no mood to pay 1.5 Lacs to get it transferred to a KA number.
- The car has been unreliable with niggling issues from 1st month of ownership. In the last 12 months, the car has had 5 service center visits.
- There are way too many noises to count especially from the boot and nearby areas which I dread every time I drive the car and now since it is nearing 50K mark it will demand work/replacement of shockers and brake pads et al. I am assuming a 50-60 K for mechanical parts plus another 30 K for getting a new boot door (mechanics have advised this multiple time when I complain about the noise).
Why I need a new car
The major reason is family expansion.
With the newborn coming in if all of us ever want to go out these are the people we will need to sit in the car – 3 family members + young one + 1 golden retriever + 1 help.
That takes us into 6/7 seater category. So what did I do? I booked an XUV 700 AX L AWD (diesel). When will it get delivered? Nov/Dec 2023 (yes, you read it right 3, not 2)
Why can’t I just hold on to the Ford (logical thing to do)
- Not interested in putting in 2-2.5 Lacs (including 50K maintenance + RTO tax) in a 4+-year-old car.
- Not very confident of Ford anymore. Where are they? Who to hold accountable?
- Even If I were to get the car serviced to the Tee and shell out 50-70 K, I am not willing to venture into main Bangalore without a KA registration.
What am I thinking now
- Pick up a second-hand SUV that the missus can use for her commute to the office till the XUV comes in.
- See if she agrees to use the Honda, I pick up a new i10/20 for my office commutes. (Not too enthusiastic about used cars honestly)! Sell this when XUV arrives.
- Ditch the XUV 700 and pick up a Safari or an Innova instead now itself? Not sure if I will be very happy compromising on the feature list though.
- Let it be! Let’s just cough up 2.5 Lacs and wait till the XUV comes in?
Too much for my puny mind to handle!
Pray Throw some suggestions on what to do?
P.S. I have looked at a few used cars on Spinny Bangalore (primarily SUV/C-SUVs) and I believe in a budget of 10-13 Lacs I can get a 2-3-year-old under 30K KM ride.
Here’s what BHPian @og_adi had to say about the matter:
Personally, I think it’s logical to get a new vehicle (option 2 in your list) as there is no guarantee the used car market may offer a reliable solution. 13 lakhs is a decent budget to get good new cars like the S-Cross, i20 or Altroz. The only drawback I can foresee here is the depreciation hit you would be taking but as long as you’re fine with it, get a new car!
I’m assuming that your EcoSport is mechanically in a very poor condition here. If all the problems being faced can be fixed within 2.5 or even 3 lakhs, strictly talking money, this seems to be the most VFM solution. Many might cancel bookings of the XUV going ahead and I’d be optimistic about the revised delivery timelines. This is purely your call as there is no specific mention of the issues being faced with the car now.
Here’s what BHPian shancz had to say about the matter:
- Keep the City, better to drive it around than getting a new i20, IMO.
- Get rid of the EcoSport.
- Get something new like a Brezza, S-Cross, Nexon, XUV300 and all should have their top-1 model at least within 13 lakhs on road Bangalore.
Why not used? Mainly because you said that you weren’t comfortable with it. In your situation the reliability factor would be paramount. Check if any BHPian is selling, that should be a good option if available.
Keyword: Awaiting Mahindra XUV700 delivery; need an interim car