Lorry drivers are being told they will benefit from improved and safer rest areas and roadside facilities thanks to up to £100 million investment from the government and industry.

Roads Minister Richard Holden said truck-stop and road service operators can bid for a share of the £32.5 million match-funding pot from the Government, which is in addition to the £20 million match-funding launched earlier this year from National Highways to improve roadside facilities and security for lorry drivers.

Unite, which has been campaigning for better facilities for truckers, said most of the promised funding will not be allocated let alone spent until 2025.

The minister launched the funding at the Red Lion Truckstop in Northamptonshire which aims to improve security measures for drivers, boost welfare facilities like showers, rest areas and restaurants, and increase HGV parking capacity.

He said: “Hauliers and drivers are critical to keep our economy motoring. But for decades, our truckers have had a raw deal when it comes to decent roadside facilities.

“This is why I’m so proud that our Government is going to provide match funding support to the industry to boost drivers’ welfare, safeguard road safety and make sure driving an HGV is a really attractive career option by providing the facilities and respect our lorry drivers deserve.”

Unite national officer Adrian Jones said: “The funding being offered today was first promised a year ago and the government is only planning to match fund £5 million this year.

“Most of the promised funding will not be allocated let alone spent until 2025. Lorry drivers a reporting that facilities are getting worse. The lack of toilets is making drivers ill while others are leaving the industry because of inadequate facilities.

“Drivers can’t hold on for any longer and rather than piece meal amounts of money being handed down by the government there needs to be root and branch reform of how drivers are treated.”

Richard Smith, Road Haulage Association managing director, welcomed the move but called on ministers to reform planning regulations to help tackle the estimated shortage of 11,000 safe and secure lorry parking spaces.

He said: “We’re pleased to see that service station operators can apply for grants to improve facilities for drivers – the standards at many truck stops are poor so it’s right that the Government has shown this commitment.

“But thousands of truckers every night are still left without safe and secure places to park.

“Simplifying planning bureaucracy would help firms develop new sites quicker, which would boost local economies and offer truckers the facilities they deserve.”

Keyword: £100m boost will improve rest areas for lorry drivers

CAR'S NEWS RELATED

The ‘nightmare’ collapse of a Formula E title bid

In Danny Boyle’s mesmerising 2002 film 28 Days Later, a stunned Jim played by Cillian Murphy wanders the streets of London alone and confused, believing he must be in a nightmare. To describe Edoardo Mortara’s demeanour last weekend as approaching something akin to a zombie apocalypse state would be ...

View more: The ‘nightmare’ collapse of a Formula E title bid

Rosenqvist deal revelation creates new Mc Laren driver twist

IndyCar teams have been put on high alert by the news that Felix Rosenqvist reportedly hasn’t signed a contract for 2023 with McLaren Racing, despite the team announcing he had in June. On Thursday a key player in the silly season, Rinus VeeKay, took himself out of the market ...

View more: Rosenqvist deal revelation creates new Mc Laren driver twist

Injured Bird’s Formula E streak over as Jaguar calls up Nato

Norman Nato will make his return to Formula E in Seoul next weekend for Jaguar. He will deputise for Sam Bird, who injured his hand in an early race incident at last Sunday’s London E-Prix. Nato, who has attended every round this season in his capacity as test and ...

View more: Injured Bird’s Formula E streak over as Jaguar calls up Nato

Formula E excelled in London but F1 clash was an own goal

Formula E delivered perhaps its best ever E-Prix event at London’s monolithic ExCeL Arena last weekend. And, after another season of calendar disruption, frankly it had to. The reason it had to deliver was that the disruption, image issues and embarrassment of postponing and then cancelling the much heralded ...

View more: Formula E excelled in London but F1 clash was an own goal

Details of two large Formula E Gen3 test crashes emerge

Formula E’s new Gen3 car has already had two real-time crash tests, with a pair of unrelated and sizeable, previously unreported, crashes having occurred during private testing in recent months. The Race has uncovered that Oliver Rowland and Theo Pourchaire suffered significant accidents in testing at Mallory Park in ...

View more: Details of two large Formula E Gen3 test crashes emerge

Nissan picks rookie for first 2023 Formula E seat

Nissan is set to give Sacha Fenestraz his Formula E debut next season after recently agreeing a deal for the 23-year-old Franco-Argentine to join its team for the start of the Gen3 era in 2023. He currently races in Super Formula, sitting third in the championship in his fourth ...

View more: Nissan picks rookie for first 2023 Formula E seat

How Giovinazzi’s first good Formula E race fell apart

Antonio Giovinazzi lamented the loss of his “big chance” to claim his first ever Formula E points after a breakthrough London race went dramatically awry. Prior to Sunday, Formula 1 convert Giovinazzi had qualified on the back two rows for the majority of his Formula E starts so far, ...

View more: How Giovinazzi’s first good Formula E race fell apart

Buemi, Wehrlein involved in London Formula E post-race dust-up

Sebastien Buemi and Pascal Wehrlein had to be separated following an angry discussion at the end of Sunday’s London E-Prix after their battle for seventh place. Witnesses saw the pair push each other and then square up to each other in the altercation, which lasted just a matter of ...

View more: Buemi, Wehrlein involved in London Formula E post-race dust-up

Winners and losers of Formula E’s London double-header

The failure that’s probably ended Jaguar’s Formula E title bid

De Vries defends ignoring ‘silly’ Mercedes team order

‘Completely unfair’ – Di Grassi’s fury with Formula E stewards

Is the Formula E title now in Vandoorne’s pocket?

‘I look like a clown’ – A new low for Formula E’s wasted hero

The full extent of Mahindra and Abt’s new Formula E tie-up

Formula E’s lost 2022 title contender

The Spa-style fix for hated part of London Formula E track

Mc Laren needs a Formula E Plan B – but its options are scant

Formula E slashes London energy limit to avoid messy race

Where Formula E will ‘make things more simple’ in Gen3 era

OTHER CAR NEWS

;
Breaking thailand news, thai news, thailand news Verified News Story Network